So, this one truly is a case of all’s well that ends well. One the one hand, Kelly dodged that bullet and found a much better guy. Then, on the other, she, her family, myself and all of you get to enjoy this deliciousness!
Have a funny dating story of your own to share? A bad first date? A silly partner mistake? A spousal mishap? I want to hear them! Send them to me through the contact form or @TablespoonForOne on Instagram for your chance to be featured!
California Roll In a Bowl
- ¼ cup uncooked brown rice
- ½ an avocado divided
- 1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon wasabi paste or to taste
- ½ a small cucumber chopped, about ½ cup
- 4 oz imitation crab meat chopped
- Step 1 Cook brown rice according to package directions, set aside
- Step 2 In a small bowl, mash half of your avocado (so about ¼ of a whole avocado) with a fork. Stir in soy sauce and wasabi until mixture has a sauce like consistency
- Step 3 Pour cooked brown rice into a bowl. Top with chopped cucumber and crab
- Step 4 Cube remaining ¼ avocado and add to the bowl
- Step 5 Drizzle avocado soy sauce over entire dish
Don’t forget that the majority of the fat and calories in this recipe come from fresh avocado, a healthy and nutritious source! It is also an extremely filling meal. If you do prefer to lighten it up, you can halve the avocado, rice or both and it will still taste delicious!
Imitation crab meat is used in most California roll’s and is an easy, inexpensive and safe alternative to lump crab. My supermarket has a few brands of it in a refrigerated section off of the produce aisle, along with smoked salmon and filets of fish. You can use fresh crab meat if you prefer, though!
I am still mastering the perfect brown rice (it’s harder than I would have thought!). Skinnytaste has some great tips, though, if you’re a rice novice like I am