This casserole like meal puts a fresh, convenient twist on the Italian style childhood staple (at least in the US), of chicken, broccoli and ziti. With a cheesy, creamy sauce and tons of protein and nutrients, this Chicken Broccoli Ziti Bake is a versatile option that can be eaten fresh, made ahead of time or even frozen!
Chicken Broccoli Ziti Bake
- 6 oz high-fiber pasta I use Ronzoni Smarttaste or Dreamfields
- 12 oz cooked shredded chicken, from about 16 oz raw
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- ¼ cup minced onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 ¾ cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup skim milk
- 4 oz low-fat cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- Step 1 Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Step 2 Cook pasta according to package directions for al dente. Set aside
- Step 3 In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook until both begin to soften, about 2 minutes
- Step 4 Sprinkle flour over onion and garlic. Pour in chicken broth and milk and bring to a boil
- Step 5 Reduce heat and simmer for 5-7 minutes, mixture should be beginning to thicken
- Step 6 Stir in cheddar cheese until fully melted. Add broccoli, cooked chicken and cooked pasta. Stir to combine and heat through for about 3 minutes
- Step 7 Spray a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray. Transfer entire pasta mixture into dish. Sprinkle parmesan evenly over top
- Step 8 Bake for 20 minutes
If you haven’t already, you MUST try Ronzoni Smart Taste and Dreamfields pastas! They are both so much more nutritious than your average, white pasta but you’d never notice a taste difference in a dish with such complex flavors!
I usually make this dish on a Sunday, eat it once or twice during the week, then wrap individual portions in tin foil and freeze them in a labeled freezer bag. To reheat, just thaw a portion in the fridge overnight or in the sink for a few hours, then microwave or reheat in the oven
If you don’t have shredded chicken on hand, add raw chicken breasts to boiling water for 10-20 minutes (depending on thickness), until cooked through. Then shred using 2 forks You can switch out the skim milk for your preference but don’t worry, the sauce is plenty rich as written! Interested in more freezeable pasta bakes? Check out this Baked Ziti with Turkey Sausage, this Chicken Club Pasta Bake and this White Chicken Lasagna!