You can eat these egg and cheese empanadas for breakfast or as a snack. They require little effort and time, and can be prepared in advance. They are a nutritious choice because of the abundant amounts of protein and vegetables they contain.
Vegetarian Egg and Cheese Empanadas
- 1/4 cup self-rising flour
- Baking powder one-fourth teaspoon
- A Pinch of Salt
- 1 cup of olive oil
- Add 2 tbsp of ice water.
- One-half cup of chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- Black beans one 15-ounce can, rinsed and drained
- Batter 4 large eggs.
- Monterey Jack cheese shredded (about 1/2 cup)
- Chopped fresh cilantro leaves about 1 tablespoon
- Guacamole for serving
- Salsa for serving
- Set oven temperature to 375 degrees F. Spray or butter a baking sheet.
- To soften the onions and garlic, cook them in a large skillet over medium heat. When the spinach has wilted, add it. Excess liquid should be drained.
- The eggs, egg whites, and milk should be mixed together in a medium bowl. Mix in the melted cheeses and cooked vegetables. Put in a pinch of salt and some pepper.
- Roll out the empanada dough to a thickness of about 1/8 inch on a surface dusted with flour. Use a glass or biscuit cutter to create circular shapes. If necessary, re-roll the offcuts.
- Fill the wells of the circles with the filling, using 1 tablespoon for each. Make a half moon shape by folding in half and sealing the edges with a fork.
- Bake the empanadas for 15 minutes, or until golden brown, on the prepared baking sheet.
Vegetarianism and Its Advantages
Weight loss, lower cholesterol, and a decreased risk of cardiovascular disease and some cancers are just a few of the many potential health benefits of adopting a vegetarian diet.
In addition, the vitamins and minerals essential to good health can be more easily obtained on a vegetarian diet, and fiber can help you feel full and maintain a healthy digestive system.
Consult your physician or a registered dietitian before making the switch to a vegetarian diet to ensure you are getting enough of the essential nutrients.
How to Make the Perfect Empanada: Hints and Advice
The first step is to find a good dough recipe; there are countless options for empanada dough online; choose one that you enjoy using.
Second, use whatever you like for the filling; egg and cheese are a good, vegetarian-friendly choice.
Third, make sure the empanadas are well sealed so the filling doesn’t leak out while cooking. You can use a fork or your fingers to press the edges together.
If you’re baking your empanadas instead of frying them, brush them with oil before baking so the tops brown and crisp up.
savor those empanadas!
If you want a heartier empanada, try adding some ground meat, like beef or chicken, and feel free to experiment with different seasonings and spices to create your perfect empanada! Variations include using different types of cheese, like cheddar or mozzarella, as well as chopped vegetables, like onions, peppers, or mushrooms.
By substituting eggs and cheese for the traditional beef filling, you can still get that savory flavor without compromising your health goals, and this simple dish is sure to become one of your favorites! We hope this recipe has inspired you to try something new in the kitchen.