This is one of those dishes that, even in normal times, I’d defrost for after a first date…that way, even if the guy disappointed, I’d have something yummy to come home to.
Lightened Up Spinach Chicken Cornbread Bake
- 8.5 oz box of Jiffy cornbread mix
- 14.75 oz can cream style corn
- 12 oz cooked shredded chicken, from about 1 lb raw
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Salt + pepper to taste
- About 6 cups baby spinach
- Step 1 Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Step 2 In a medium bowl, combine cornbread mix and creamed corn
- Step 3 Stir in shredded chicken until mixture has uniform consistency
- Step 4 Season mixture with garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper
- Step 5 Add spinach to the bowl and stir until combined
- Step 6 Spray a 9 x 13 baking dish with cooking spray. Spread cornbread mixture evenly across prepared dish
- Step 7 Bake in preheated oven for 40 minutes. Edges should be browned and crisping
If you don’t have cooked chicken on hand, bring a pot of water to a boil and add 16 oz raw chicken. Continue to boil until cooked through, about 10-20 minutes, depending on chicken’s thickness. It should be easily shreddable with two forks.
I added the spinach to bulk up the nutrition and really can’t taste it! If your family doesn’t like their greens, though, feel free to omit it.
The leftovers of this recipe freeze great! I like to wrap individual portions in tin foil and store in a labeled freezer bag. I then defrost a serving as needed in the fridge over night or on the counter for a few hours