Sweetened with only fresh fruit, these Strawberry Banana Muffins combine nutrition and flavor to make for a delicious, healthful breakfast or snack. They are incredibly light but you’d never know it from the taste which is bursting with fruity goodness in every bite. Simple to make, these muffins also freeze well meaning you have weeks worth of meals ready in only about half an hour.
So, thankfully for all of us, my appearance, my knowledge of nutrition and my cooking capabilities have improved greatly since 8th grade. Even luckier for all of you and the entertainment these stories hopefully provide, my dating expertise has not aged nearly so well.
No Sugar Added Strawberry Banana Muffins
- 1 1/3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 bananas mashed
- 1 egg
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons fat-free Greek yogurt
- 1 cup strawberries chopped
- STEP 1Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- STEP 2In a medium sized bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside
- STEP 3Mash bananas in a small bowl. Stir in egg, applesauce, vanilla extract and yogurt
- STEP 4Combine wet and dry ingredients. Stir in chopped strawberries
- STEP 5Spray a muffin tin with cooking spray or use sprayed cupcake liners
- STEP 6Divide batter evenly between muffin cups
- STEP 7Bake in preheated oven for 15-18 minutes or until toothpick inserted into muffin comes out clean
I find these muffins to be plenty sweet with all of the fruit but if you prefer something sweeter, try adding honey to your batter by the tablespoon until it tastes right to you
You can absolutely halve this recipe for a smaller batch but I prefer to make the whole thing and freeze some! That way I can pop one into the fridge to defrost overnight next time I don’t have time to make breakfast. You might notice that your baking cups look very full when you’re dividing your batter, this is supposed to be the case! Place the muffin tin on a baking sheet if you’re worried about drips.
Bananas are one of the greatest fruits for freezing! Allow fresh bananas to get slightly over ripe and then freeze until you’re ready to bake with them. This process will make for the sweetest, most flavorful baked goods without food waste.