Seriously, it’s like combining a tater tot, a sweet potato fry and falafel without any oil and barely any fat. I am most definitely not a vegetarian but I do absolutely share in the Healthy Spiced Carrot Tots obsession they’ve earned it. In fact, they’re so tasty that even picky eating children can enjoy munching on them.
Healthy Spiced Carrot Tots Recipe
- 4 medium carrots about ¾ lb, peeled
- 1 egg
- 6 tablespoons seasoned breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup low-fat mozzarella
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- Salt + pepper to taste
- Step 1 Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Step 2 Cut each carrot into 3-4 “chunks” and place in a food processor. Pulse until chopped into fine, rice-like consistency
- Step 3 In a medium bowl, combine riced carrot, egg, breadcrumbs and mozzarella
- Step 4 Add in garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, cumin, paprika, salt and pepper and stir to combine
- Step 5 Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray. Form mixture into “tot” shapes, you should end up with about 30 tots. Place on prepared baking sheet and spray tops with cooking spray
- Step 6 Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes. Flip tots and spray again
- Step 7 Cook for about 12 minutes or until tots are lightly browned
These are also delicious in the air fryer! You can fry them at 390 degrees for about 4 minutes, shake the basket, then fry for another 2-3 until browned and crispy. This is also a great way to reheat any leftovers.
These tots freeze extremely well so I’ll sometimes make a larger batch and store individual servings in the freezer for busy weeknights. These tots have an almost falafel like, spicy flavor to them. If you’re looking for a simpler flavor, you can halve the cumin and chili powder or omit them entirely.